Heartbeats~ Soul Stains

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Freedom of choice and speech

In Hawaii there is a big battle going on right now over same-sex marriage.  I think it is fine for both sides to intelligently put their point of view out there.  That's what the United States stands by is freedom of speech.  We are all suppose to be equal, no matter what.
It seems to me we have become a society that no longer allows people to speak what they feel without things becoming nasty and filled with hate.  I have had to change my radio station because of the hate talk and the ignorance being spoken.  I don't want to drive my kids to school and here "idiot" and "retard" the whole way.
I am a Christian!  I do not believe it is my place to say who can be married and who can't.  I can only control what I do (and that's job in and of its self).  I hear other christian's points of views and I respect them for it.  If hate and anger were taken out, I believe both sides could resolve this.
What really opened my eyes to why all couples need some sort of legal footing, was a story I read on CNN.  It was about a same-sex couple that were together for quite a while.  One of the men fell in an accident at work, he was immediately rushed to the hospital.  When his partner arrived to see him at the hospital he was close to death.  This was the time for this couple that loved each other just as much as I love my husband to say their final words.  They were robbed of this.  The parents; being next of kin because this couple could never legally obtain rights, did not allow the couple to see each other.  The man was barred from his partners room.  He never got to say goodbye, they never got to have that final touch.  A man died without the comfort from the one he loved.  Don't we all as human beings have the right to love who we want?  I have lost many people of recent years and never got to say goodbye, have that final touch of the skin.  It hurts to know this couple could have had that, and they were deprived of it.  The man in the story died, his partner was not even allowed to attend his services.  A tragic accident was made even worse.  The story of this couple hurt my soul.
My grandfather was a pastor, I can remember him over and over preaching how we are not to judge others.  I can't judge who anyone loves, just like I wouldn't want someone judging who I love or whom I have chosen to spend the rest of my life with.  If a church doesn't want to marry a couple they should have that right, certain churches already refuse marriage of couples based on religious beliefs and if they have attended certain classes etc.  How would this be any different?
I have seen hate from both sides and it's sad.  The Christians as well as the same-sex couples I know are filled with love and compassion and would not speak the hatred I have heard.  Hate and anger can be so over powering that you begin to only see the negative in these people.  We are forgetting what this is about, equality for all and freedom of speech for all.
November challenge:
I am grateful for my church family that always taught love.  I have been blessed to have been surrounded by many loving people throughout my life.
1 Corinthians 13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Follow my blog Heartbeats Soul Stains

No comments:

Post a Comment